I think we've all been much too hard on politicians.
There, I've said it.
I'll say it again. I think we've all been much too hard on politicians.
Like the rest of us, politicians are flawed human beings.
- A few politicians are unreasonably extreme in their views. (A bit like the rest of us, really.) And we've seen many examples of this lately.
- A few politicians get unreasonably aggressive with each other. (A bit like the way some non-politicians behave in their workplaces.) And we've seen many examples of this lately.
- A few politicians become corrupt in the course of their political careers (but not very many, really.)
In my experience, I've met many politicians, at a variety of levels, from a variety of perspectives, in a number of different nations.
- Some have views and policies with which I agree, and values which I sometimes find inspiring.
- Some have views and policies with which I disagree, and values which I sometimes find frightening.
Politician-bashing is a popular activity in Australia as it is in other western countries. For those who enjoy politician-bashing, may I pose this question?
Which would you prefer? To be governed by a group of politicians over whom you have the occasional power of choice (through regular, orderly elections)? Or to be ruled over by a cabal of generals over whom you have no choice?
As for me, I'd choose the politicians over the generals any day.