· It’s a sign of a poor vocabulary.
· It’s a sign of a lazy mind.
· It’s very, very obnoxious.
In the time of the Jerusalem Temple, the name Yahweh was pronounced only once a year in Jewish worship:
· only in the small central room of the Temple called the Holy of Holies,
· only by the High Priest,
· only with no one else around,
· only speaking in a whisper.
· This commandment is not really about a God whose name is too holy to pronounce.
· This commandment is not really even about the obnoxiously ignorant use of God’s name, or of any other sacred name, as “coarse language”.
In the first post in this series of articles, there is a general introduction to the series.