On such days, it is important for non-frequent worshippers to feel that they are part of the worshipping congregation. It is also important for the regular congregation to feel that those who are not weekly worshippers are not intruders on the gathering for worship.
Please use these (or similar words) as a way of
- encouraging non-frequent worshippers to feel welcome within the congregation, and
- encouraging regular worshippers to feel less resentful regarding the presence of non-frequent worshippers.
(After the call to worship, opening hymn, etc.:)
We extend a warm welcome to all who are attending this service of worship, whether you are:
· a regular worshipper within this congregation,
· a regular worshipper elsewhere,
· someone who may not be a frequent worshipper anywhere, but for whom worship on this day is an important part of your life each year,
· someone who is accompanying a family member or friend to worship, or
· someone for whom worship in any church may be a completely new experience for you,
To everyone, it’s great that you’re here, and may this time of worship be an opportunity for renewed faith for each of us.
(The service continues as per the normal order of worship.)